Friday, October 12, 2007

A Banner Day For Bedlam

The furnace is moved! There are heating vents (that work) to the back bedrooms. Woohoo! The workmen aren't quite done, but they are staying late so they can get it so we can turn it on this weekend.

When we first bought this home, we chose it quickly because we didn't have a lot of time. It was priced about $25,000 under value, it was the ugliest house on the street, but had good enough bones to fix up and sell for a good profit. We were right about that; we should be able to price the home at nearly triple the purchase price by the time we are done. That said, it's taking a lot of work to get to that point.

For instance: the furnace was a mess. The home had an addition that had never been ducted into the original duct work. It's been heated with only passive heat since we moved in, keeping the addition about 10-15 degrees cooler than the original section of the house. Which means the living room and the master bedroom have to be kept hot so the kids didn't get too cold in their rooms. See? mess.

Yesterday, the workmen showed up to move the furnace to it's new location and get the ducting mess straightened out. It is now in a closet in the fourth bedroom (not used as a bedroom) and no longer in a closet in the kitchen. As soon as the hot water heater gets replaced in a new location (we're going with an on demand system to save floor space and for efficiency) we'll be able to rip out that kitchen closet. Oh and the wall. A great big wall between the living room and kitchen. It'll be cool.

Now I told you all that so I could tell you this: I got to wire in the furnace. Last night Steve ran the new wiring for the new location while I did the easy part of running the wire fish and not climbing in the attic. He just left a wire hanging out of a box in the wall. One of the installers told me that if the furnace were wired today, they could turn on the gas and we could have heat over the weekend. He also said that we could do a temporary wiring that just involved connecting wires. I can do that.

So I did. Cool huh? Yes, I'm pretty proud of myself. If I had a gold star I'd put it on my forehead.

No comments: