Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I'm almost caught up

with the century. We now have a car with a CD player, a DVD player in the house, DSL internet, and the new addition, a cell phone.

Yes, folks, I have survived these last three decades without a cell phone. My 62 year old mother had a cell phone before me. That's how unhip I am. I know. It was difficult. I can hear your heart breaking for me from here. The sympathy is apreciated.

Of course, my lack of portable leash was my own decision. Those things are really quite expensive. Why, I could have been paying as much for an ear leech as I pay for my DSL. And since I never actually get up from my DSL and go anywhere, it really seemed a bit pointless to pay for it.

Until I discovered the pay per use system. I know that minutes are technically cheaper when you pay for them in chunks, but since I never use them in chunks, it's a bit of overkill. It's like buying the five pound bag of salad at Costco and only eating a pound before it goes bad. Cheaper in theory; expensive in practice. I've been wanting a pay-as-you-go phone for awhile and i've been researching and waiting for a plan that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. So I invested in a T-Mobile phone.

So now when I go visit friends in August, I don't have to be a phone mooch to call my sweetie at home. I'll have my own minutes to use. I feel so almost up to date.

2000 here I come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just add cable TV and you'll be there. I'm not sure its worth the sacrifice, though.